Coronary artery bypass surgery
Among the world’s population, most of the adult people above 60 suffer from various kinds of heart diseases and are not able to avail proper treatment for their ill health. One among the dangerous and most prone diseases is Coronary artery disease, and the only way to get it cured is to undergo the Coronary artery bypass surgery. Coronary artery disease (CAD) is the contracting of the coronary arteries (these are blood vessels which provide oxygen and other nutrients to the cardiac muscle), due to the fatty material deposited within the walls of the arteries. This causes the inner walls of the arteries to become irregular and contracted, restricting the supply of oxygen-rich blood to the cardiac muscle. Coronary artery bypass surgery is planned to bypass blood around the thin segment of a coronary artery in order to bring back blood flow to the cardiac muscle. A vein transplant from the leg part is used for the bypass.
Various tests to evaluate CAD: To provide the best services to the patients suffering from coronary artery disease, every established hospital picks well-experienced and reputed doctors from all parts of India. There are various kinds of cardiac specialists available like a cardiac surgeon, Pediatric Cardiologist, Interventional cardiologist, general cardiologists, etc. Every doctor will identify coronary heart disease (CHD) based on patient’s medical and family history. Depending upon the results obtained after validating the medical background of the patient, they may suggest to undergo various kinds of medical tests as follows,
• Blood tests: To detect the presence of various enzymes released due to the damage of the cardiac muscles.
• X-rays of the chest region
• Stress tests, with and without injection of a radioactive isotope, Thallium.
• Upon analyzing the above test and if any of them are positive, the doctor may also suggest to take cardiac catheterization which displays the severity of the disease.
Also, apart from all the above tests doctor also need to analyze which surgery to perform as there are two types of Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting surgeries available.
Types of Bypass-surgeries:
1. On-pump surgery: In this process, chest bone is opened and stop the heart and is placed on a machine which performs the function of the heart by delivering the oxygenated blood to all over the body and brain during the bypass.
2. Off-pump surgery: The surgery is performed without placing the heart on any machine and operates when the heart is beating.
Estimation of CABG:
The coronary bypass surgery is very expensive, and it depends upon the location where the person is being treated. CABG cost in India starts from 1.5 lacs and might extend till 5 lacs. In India also the bypass surgery is available in many of the top cities like Delhi, Bangalore, Secunderabad, Ahmedabad, Mumbai, Chennai, Jaipur, Pune, etc. There are many hospital websites which easily calculate and estimate the price of the bypass surgery and make it available for the people. Besides providing these details, it also provides the complete profile of the top most doctors working with them.